Making hyperlinks visible
Posted: 04 August 2009 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-08-04

I’m brand new to PDFClerk, so probably this is quite obvious but I can’t seem to find it.

Making hyperlinks is wonderfully easy, but what do I need to do so that they will be visible on-screen?
What I’ve done:

1. Highlight text in Text mode. Click on Annotation button in Toolbar. In Dynamic Annotations Inspector choose Get Destination and set destination.

2. In the Appearance Inspector I choose Stroke: Style: Solid and give it some width. But when I switch back to Text mode, the box around the text that has been made into a link vanishes.

Do I need to add another, static annotation?

I’ve actually managed to get one or two to ‘stick’—but this is inconsistent.
Is there a trick?
As a corollary: The links themselves work fine, but if I choose the Dynamic Annotation mode and open Appearance Inspector, having clicked on the link, I can’t reliably edit the appearance. All of the apparently available controls just do nothing.
I’m sure I’m missing something obvious. If anyone has had similar experience or suggest what I might try, I’d be grateful.

Thanks

Posted: 04 August 2009 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  469
Joined  2007-03-23

I can’t reproduce this. When I test this, if I set the stroke to solid, a line appears around the annotation. If I set a dashed appearance, I get a dashed stroke. Changing the stroke width is also correctly reflected. (Make sure it is selected: you will see handles around the link. The handles are not there when the link is not selected.)

Can you send me a PDFClerk document with a link you created whose box does not show?

[ Edited: 04 August 2009 08:10 AM by Tonio ]
 Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 04 August 2009 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-04

Thanks for your quick reply.

I see that once I save the document and re-open it, the links show fine.

But as I work on the document, links become invisible once I switch back to Text mode.

I’d send a file, but once saved it looks fine.

Seems like it must be something odd at my end. (I’ve tried rebooting and trashing preferences. No difference.)

I guess I’ll just save and reopen until I can figure it out. (Leopard on iBook G4. Yeah, I’d love a new MacBook grin)

One other thing though:

It seems that a box around the link is the only option that works, even though “Underline” is listed.
Is it possible to underline a link rather than enclose it in a box?
When I try, I get a box anyway.  I *can* get both solid and dashed boxes.

Thanks

Posted: 04 August 2009 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Yes, it seems that some of the options are not working. Since nothing has changed in the code that governs that area, for a long time, I’m assuming Apple may have made changes that broke this functionality, but I’ll look into it to make sure.

I’ll see if I can manage to load PDFClerk Pro onto a G4 machine, to check how the dynamic annotation stroke behaves there. Does the stroke not show up even when you set a thick stroke width?

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 04 August 2009 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-04

Hi
You know, I get mixed behaviors.
At the moment, it works fine (even with thin stroke)...until I try to make a change, such as changing the color of the stroke. THEN the stroke becomes invisible. But when I save and reopen, it’s there just fine.
For example, I create an annotation (dynamic as link) with black box. (At the moment it *does* show up ! I know this is suspicious.) Then I revert to Text Mode, then back to Dynamic Annotation Mode and highlight the link. In Inpsector I change color to red. When I switch back to Text Mode the link is invisible. But then I save and reopen, and it’s there in red.

This is a minor inconvenience I think, and seems related to my machine, or my combination of machine and OS.

I’m looking for another reason to update myself, so if you can tell me that you have no such trouble on a more ‘modern’ machine, that might help push me….

Thanks again

Posted: 04 August 2009 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

All I can say is I cannot reproduce the behaviour on my system (MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.5.7), nor have I had any reports from anybody else presenting a similar issue.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 05 August 2009 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-08-04

Yes, I believe you. Something is definitely amiss at my end with the display, but as I say it’s a minor inconvenience and it won’t stop me from using PDFClerk. Knowing that no one else has had this happen encourages me. I’m sure it will before long be a thing of the past for me.

Thanks for your help.