Clave
Posted: 12 December 2009 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-12-12

I am excited to see that the new version of Metron has a “Silence” option for pulses. This will now allow me to set up clave patterns. I’m wondering if anybody else has done this.

Here is how I got a 3-2 Rumba pattern it to work. I created a single 16/16 bar and grouped by 3+4+3+2+4. The clave works but at max BMP it is still too slow for much of my work. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a way to program a rest on the down beat of a bar or grouping? I have not able to figure this out (it would be very useful for the 2 side of the clave).

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 13 December 2009 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

Hi,

I’m glad you figured out a way to get some patterns to work. Max bpm with the tempo slider is limited to 220 bpm, but using the + button you can up that to 400 bpm. If that is still not fast enough, you can up the factor with the factor controls. The maximum factor is 2, so effectively you can have an 800 bpm tempo.

Since the beat sounds apply to all bars, you cannot have one bar with a sound on the down beat, and then the next bar with silence on the down beat.

You’ll be glad to know then, that the next version of Metron will allow you to devise your own rhythmic patterns per beat in a time signature, and assign custom sounds and colours to each note in a pattern. This will give you the flexibility to create any pattern you want, and make it play back with various percussive instrument sounds. These patterns can be individual to any beat in any bar, so you get maximum flexibility.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 13 December 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-12

Thanks for the quick reply António, I appreciate it very much.

I wasn’t aware of the factor function. That will give me the tempo range that I need. Thanks for the tip/

The features of the next version sound really great! It should make the grouping issue a lot cleaner. Do you have a projected release date? I have some colleagues and students that will be very interested in the new version.

Jim

Posted: 13 December 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

I can’t make any guarantees, but I hope to be able to release it sometime next January.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 13 December 2009 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-12

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it. Enjoy the Holidays.

Posted: 15 March 2010 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

It took a bit longer than anticipated, mainly due to the delay in obtaining the graphics to the new front panel interface, but version 2.0 is out with all the power and control you need to create clave rhythms, or for that matter, just about any other rhythm pattern one may need.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 17 March 2010 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-12

2.0 is GREAT! I’m able to create clave patterns quickly and easily. I’ve also been able to create 6/8 bell patterns too! Thanks for all the improvements!