uhu’s Profile
Posted: 31 December 2009 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-12-17

searching for a lightweight Adobe replacment I found PDFClerk.

My main purposes of using PDFClerk are:
- combining and extracting pages from PDF-files
- adding TOC and Hyperlinks to PDF documents
- add my signature to a file (not often)
- adding notes and comments to a PDF document (very seldom)

Beside the basic feature (extracting and combining) a very important taks is to add a TOC sometimes to an already existing PDF file. Since providing manuals and instructions in PDF format is common every vendor does this but in a more or less good way. Understandig the users need and how he might use such a document to have links within the document is essential. But some manufacturers do not provide that functionality. Depending on how important a user manual is I am doing a TOC on my own. It takes some time but afterwards I get a useful and easy to navigate manual.

Wishlist:
having some OCR functioality built into PDFClerk might be interesting and also to have compression features when doing a “Save as..”

Posted: 31 December 2009 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

Hi,

What do you want the OCR for specifically? Some form of compression is available in the save panel when exporting to PDF, indeed not when doing a Save As, do you have a particular reason for requesting that?

Have you tried the automated functionality for creating bookmarks and other in-document hyperlinks when creating manual navigation?

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 31 December 2009 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-12-17

concerning OCR, I knew that if a text document is converted to PDF in Adobe I can still edit text. But sometimes I get scanned in PDFs (even text). This in my opinion is the worst form of a PDF. Having some kind of OCR built into PDFClerk I thought it could be possible to get back the possibility to edit text.

Depending on the target output device (screen or printer) photos added to a PDF document can be reduced in size. This is a function of Adobe Standard and could be applied to a PDF after creating it.
However in one of my last PDFs exported from Pages I get the best result when scaling down the photos before placing them in Pages. The export options in Pages didn’t do a good job for me.