Sequencing question.
Posted: 05 April 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-04-03

Hello,

I am trying to program a sequence but can’t get everything to work properly.  My goal is to start at 50 BPM and go through this pattern (using 4/4 for the time signature throughout):

Bar 1: One whole note
Bar 2: Two half notes
Bar 3: Four quarter notes
Bar 4: Eight eighth notes
Bar 5: Twelve eighth notes (the triplet bar)
Bar 6: Sixteen sixteenth notes
Bar 7: Twenty sixteenth notes (the quintuplet bar)
Bar 8: Twenty-four sixteenth notes (the sextuplet bar)
Bar 9: Twenty-eight sixteenth notes (the septuplet bar)
Bar 10: Thirty-two thirty-second notes

I would then like it to repeat at the end of this sequence and increase by 10 BPM.  The problem is the triplet, quintuplet, sextuplet, and septuplet bars do not divide properly.  They play at the same eighth or sixteenth-note pace but with extra notes added to the end.  Also, the variance does not seem to be working; the same 50 BPM pace continues for every sequence.

I attached some photos of how I set everything up and I will post more if necessary.  Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

Image Attachments
IMG_4034.pngIMG_4035.pngphoto.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

Hi,

The quintuplet/septuplet issue is a bug in Metron. It will be fixed in the next update. Triplets, as far as I know, should playback correctly though.

The reason that the increase of 10 bpm per sequence does not work is because you have set a tempo of 50 for the sequence. This cancels out the increase of 10 bpm upon repeat of the sequence. TO make it work, remove the tempo setting, and simply set the tempo to 50 on the front panel before starting sequence playback. That should make it work as expected.

Coming back to tuplets: the next update will contain an overhaul of the tuplet feature. It will allow arbitrary tuplets, and should correct any incorrect playback in the current release.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 06 April 2010 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-03

Thank you Antonio.  The tempo adjustment did the trick and I look forward to the new release.  I have attached a screenshot of my triplet bar; is it configured properly?

Image Attachments
photo.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2010 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

The triplet looks fine. I don’t see why it would not play back correctly. Can you export the sequence in question and send it to me by email? (How to export is explained both on our website and within Metron in the user guide, which you can find under the Info tab.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 06 April 2010 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-04-03

Antonio, I sent the files to you via PM.  Thanks for all your help!

Posted: 29 July 2011 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-07-29

Hi there — I am similarly confused with the tuplet feature in the latest s/w version, which I just loaded on to my iPad 2 (and I realize this app does not run native on that platform).  I originally thought that for a quarter note triplet, I would insert a quarter note and then assign it a 3:1 value.  That did not play correctly.  I finally figured out that I had to add three quarter notes and assign each of those three a 3:1 value; it then played the correct rhythm but the grouping was not written with a triplet bracket per traditional notation. So, two questions: 1) did I use the proper / recommended method with this app to create a triplet? and 2) how does this app notate tuplets in the score?  Thank you.

Posted: 29 July 2011 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Metron does not notate the tuplets as you would expect in traditional notation. It puts the numerator under each note of the tuplet, since every note is defined separately. The units are indeed not bracketed together.

If you want a quarter note triplet, meaning four quarters in the time of one whole note, that is exactly how you would define the triplet for each note: “3 quarters in the time of 1 whole note”.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 01 January 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-01-01

Hi, I’m also having a bit of a problem with triplets in Metron 2. In a bar of 4/4 time, for example, I would like to have a pattern of a quarter note triplet (in the space of 2 quarter notes) and then two regular quarter notes. The problem is that in 4/4, the bar only has 4 defined beat areas (te little gray boxes around the default notes). I also want each of the notes in the bar to have its own dot in the front of the metronome.  So, I must put the three triplet notes into the space of the first two beats. I can change those two beats to a triplet note, but then the third note must get attached to one of those two beats because I need the other two to use as the regular quarter notes. Is there A way to add an extra beat, or maybe merge the first two beats together so that I can have each of the notes with its own dot in the front? Or maybe there’s seething else I can do. Any help would be much appreciated; thanks.

Posted: 02 January 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Currently Metron always shows a dot for each beat. There is no way to alter this. What you can do is color code each entry, if you want, so that the dots on the front panel change color with the beeps.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks