1 of 2
bugs and suggestions
Posted: 22 January 2012 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-01-22

I think that PDF Nomad has great potential and there’s lots about it I like. Please regard the following as constructive feedback.

Bugs:

- Tile Pages: I’ve tried to use it twice and on both occasions PDF Nomad hangs so that eventually I have to resort to force quitting it.

- Merge Pages: when I try to merge two pages, vertically or horizontally, all I get is a large blank page with no visible content.

- Export text fails to export most of the text in a .pdf’d PowerPoint presentation. Perhaps this is a demo limitation?

Questions and suggestions:

- When I click a tool, it seems to remain active until you select another one. I’d prefer a convention by which a single click on a tool selects it for one ‘action’, a double click selects it for multiple actions until deselected.

- When I create a comment, the dialogue box opens with the user field highlighted. In practice, I’ll almost never need to change this. It would make much more sense for the comment field to be highlighted so I can immediately start typing in my comment.

- Why is the first comment I create numbered ‘0’ rather than ‘1’?

- I find it difficult to work out how to move and resize objects (text boxes, etc) around the page. It would be really useful to have a pointer button to simplify this.

- When I want to create a hyperlink, I’d expect the destination dialogue box to appear automatically after I use the link tool to highlight the area I want to link.

- When I create, say, a radio button, the associated dialogue box doesn’t open automatically. If I double click it, PDF Nomad creates a second radio button on top of the one I’ve just created and want to edit.

- It would be really helpful to have a colour picker so that when trying to correct a typo against a colour background, you could quickly find the colour fill you need for the text box.

Posted: 22 January 2012 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

Tile Pages: I’ve tried to use it twice and on both occasions PDF Nomad hangs so that eventually I have to resort to force quitting it.

I cannot reproduce this issue. Possibly it is dependent on the file you are trying to tile? Could you possibly send us the file you are trying to tile with a description of the tile settings you are trying to apply? This might make it possible for us to reproduce the issue and try to find a fix.

Merge Pages: when I try to merge two pages, vertically or horizontally, all I get is a large blank page with no visible content.

This I can reproduce. We will look into the issue.

Export text fails to export most of the text in a .pdf’d PowerPoint presentation. Perhaps this is a demo limitation?

Trial mode has no limitation other than stamping a watermark on any generated output. Usually the reason text cannot be extracted from a PDF document is due to the way the text has been encoded. The PDF format allows a lot of freedom as to how text and fonts are encoded, and there are quite a few documents around that do not allow faithful text extraction. PDF Nomad will also not extract text from scanned pages.

When I click a tool, it seems to remain active until you select another one. I’d prefer a convention by which a single click on a tool selects it for one ‘action’, a double click selects it for multiple actions until deselected.

To exit the tool hit the escape key. Alternatively click the tool again to toggle it off.

When I create a comment, the dialogue box opens with the user field highlighted. In practice, I’ll almost never need to change this. It would make much more sense for the comment field to be highlighted so I can immediately start typing in my comment.

That certainly makes sense. I’ll put this on the list of things to consider.

Why is the first comment I create numbered ‘0’ rather than ‘1’?

This is the real index number ‘under the hood’. It is not impossible to change it to show from ‘1’ up, but we’ve never had any indication that the numbering might be confusing to users.

I find it difficult to work out how to move and resize objects (text boxes, etc) around the page. It would be really useful to have a pointer button to simplify this.

What do you mean by a “pointer button”? The cursor changes shape depending on where you hover over objects to indicate in what way it will affect it.

When I want to create a hyperlink, I’d expect the destination dialogue box to appear automatically after I use the link tool to highlight the area I want to link.

That makes sense too. The current method makes it easy to add many links one after another and then edit them afterwards, but what you suggest may be a more often desired approach.

When I create, say, a radio button, the associated dialogue box doesn’t open automatically. If I double click it, PDF Nomad creates a second radio button on top of the one I’ve just created and want to edit.

Opening the dialog straight away makes sense, as above. To avoid creating another button by clicking hit the escape key to toggle off the tool.

It would be really helpful to have a colour picker so that when trying to correct a typo against a colour background, you could quickly find the colour fill you need for the text box.

Open the color menu on the annotation toolbar and select the bottom menu item “Fill Color…”. This opens the color picker.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 22 January 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-22

Thanks, Antonio. I’ll email you to document I’ve been experimenting with.

Your tip about using the Esc key to stop using a tool is really helpful. Having said that, I find that having, say, created a comment, I have to hit the Esc key twice to get to the point where I can move it to a new location on the page (this is what I had in mind in referring to the pointer button). I do feel I’m going to be making a great deal of use of the Esc key and wonder if there’s a better way?

Sorry, when I referred to the colour picker, what I was hoping for was a dropper tool that would enable me to sample the background colour for a perfect match if the page background isn’t either black or white.

Thanks and best wishes

Philip

And thanks, too, for such a quick response

Posted: 22 January 2012 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

That is available in the color picker. It looks like a looking glass, placed to the left of the color well. Click it, and select the color you want.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 22 January 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-22

Perfect, thank you.

Philip

Posted: 25 January 2012 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Both the issue with merged pages appearing blank and the issue of a hang when tiling pages have been found and fixed. The next update will incorporate the fixes.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 25 January 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-22

That’s brilliant, thank you Antonio. I’m really impressed by how quickly you are responding to issues. I’ll look forward to the next update.

Philip

Posted: 25 January 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23
tatami - 22 January 2012 08:29 PM

Your tip about using the Esc key to stop using a tool is really helpful. Having said that, I find that having, say, created a comment, I have to hit the Esc key twice to get to the point where I can move it to a new location on the page (this is what I had in mind in referring to the pointer button). I do feel I’m going to be making a great deal of use of the Esc key and wonder if there’s a better way?

Yes, turns out there is. I made changes so that, starting with the next update, clicking the bar doesn’t enter sticky mode. Sticky mode is still available by double clicking, for those situations where it comes in handy. (E.g. drawing individual rectangles around words or phrases.) Seems to me the most efficient solution.

I also incorporated a few other of your suggestions. Notably, for many annotations, when you add them they will now immediately pop up the inspector.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 25 January 2012 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-01-22

I’m really looking forward to trying out the next version. Bring it on!

Philip

Posted: 31 July 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-07-31

A few features I would like to see:

1. Stamps with Automatic date text (customizable format)
2. Printing multiple pdf files using page setup of first file (drag and drop pdf files to the open file actually works well so this feature request is not that important)
3. Pan/drag and zoom mode. Left button will drag the pdf around and the scroll wheel will zoom in and out
4. Zoom fit screen button (it’s in the pulldown view menu or shortcut [command 9] but having a button would be nice)

Posted: 04 December 2012 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-31

I would love the ability to customize the default layout (open views) of PDF Nomad when the app opens. Right now, the right view list defaults to on so I’m always closing that view list it every time I open PDF Nomad. Preferences gives me the option for “Show left side lists when opening a new document”. I would like that same option for right side lists.

Posted: 05 December 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

PDF Nomad should only open the bookmarks list on the right if the document contains bookmarks. And only the first time. If you close the bookmarks, then close the document, then the next time it shouldn’t open the bookmarks when you open the document. If you’re always opening new documents, which contain bookmarks, then indeed the bookmarks will always be shown.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 09 December 2012 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-31

I still think automatically opening the bookmarks should be a preference option. For me using my rMBP, when I open a new PDF, I have to stretch the window a little larger so I can actually see the view toggle to turn off the bookmarks view (for some reason, the window is never large enough to show the view toggle buttons). I do it every time I open a new pdf (which is a lot in my work) and it’s become very annoying. A preference toggle to simply have the view on or off at open would be very welcome.

Posted: 13 December 2012 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

You can set the preference from PDF Nomad version 1.5.1 onwards.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 13 December 2012 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-31

Thanks Antonio! You’re the best!

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-07-31

In the view zoom menu, we have “Fit Width”, “Actual Size”, “Zoom In” and “Zoom Out” but in the customize buttons panel, we cannot add “Fit Width”. Can this button be added to the customize buttons panel perhaps beside the “Actual Size” button? It seems odd that it’s missing this button.

1 of 2