Reduction in file size
Posted: 28 January 2012 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-28

Why does PDFClerk reduce the file size of my documents? I am doing a very high-end print job and would like to preserve as much resolution as possible.

For example, the original PDF that I import is 754 MB. After imposition, when I export from PDFClerk to a PDF it is 381 MB.

I have set the following preferences:

Preferences/settings for all/graphics quality: best, image compression: none

Are there any other settings I can use to avoid a reduction in file size? Or, why is this happening?

Thanks!

Posted: 29 January 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

When exporting to PDF, the document goes through the Mac OS X system frameworks. These process the document and may make changes. For the most part the output is not altered, and images should not have their resolution reduced when you export, unless you specifically set a filter that does this. It is quite possible that the frameworks choose to compress the images in the new document, but they should do so without loss of quality/data. A reduction in roughly half its size sounds rather like a non lossy conversion to me. Have you checked that the imagery in the exported document is noticeably different than in the original? You can open both documents together in PDFClerk and zoom a lot and see if you notice any difference in resolution between images.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 30 January 2012 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-01-28

Thank you for responding. I do not notice a visible difference between the images when I compare them. I’ll proceed with the print job and if I don’t post again it means everything was fine!