Saddlestitched booklet with bleed
Posted: 29 March 2012 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-11-03

Hi, I have a 16pp A5 job with 2.5mm bleed around each page edge I’d like to impose as a saddlestitched booklet. I can’t seem to persuade PDFClerk to remove the bleed from the fold edge between the pages.

Another user had the same problem quite early on (http://sintraworks.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/29) and you explained a solution that appeared to work for him. It is not, however, working for me. I wonder if its because settings and menu items have changed functions between now and then? I’m using v3.11.1.

Could I ask that you re-explain how to do this with the current version of PDFClerk?

Many thanks in advance,
MP

Posted: 31 March 2012 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

If you set the settings in the Display Boxes Inspector and show the document by the correct display box, then, when imposing, you should only get the desired content.

I suggest you set the trim box to the dimensions of the content that you want to be printed. Then show the document by its trim box and impose. That should have the desired effect.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 11 July 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-22

The problem with this solution is two fold, and only one ‘fold’ has a resolution.
1. If you open an existing PDF with PDF Clerk, the settings in “Display boxes inspector” cannot be modified.
The workaround is to create a new PDF Clerk Document and import the required PDF into it.
Easy, but if you miss the step then everything else just stops there.
2. The Display boxes inspector shows 2 options for changing the layout. The first is “Media box” the second is “insets from media box”.
The way to change the layout to suit saddle stitch with bleed on 3 of the outside edges (not ‘guttter’) is to alter the first x Coordinate position with Media Box. However, this change cannot be replicated throughout the remainder of the document with “Mirror on opposite pages” checked and “Apply to Selected Pages” . It does the same thing to all pages, this is after selecting the group and re-selecting the initial page and associated set of corrected values. ( all pages modified left side edge for example)

My version of PDF Clerk is 3.12.1
tried to upload sample screen shots and PDF ref document (160KB) but:
“A problem was encountered while attempting to upload your file ”

Posted: 17 July 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

1. If you open an existing PDF with PDF Clerk, the settings in “Display boxes inspector” cannot be modified.
The workaround is to create a new PDF Clerk Document and import the required PDF into it.

I can’t replicate this. Are you perhaps working on encrypted documents? (Documents you had to first unlock with a password? If not, then I think you are trying to alter the display boxes while showing an imposition. To do that you have to switch the page list to the imposed sheets tab. Then you have control over the boxes. But that won’t allow you to alter what happens at the fold.

2. The Display boxes inspector shows 2 options for changing the layout. The first is “Media box” the second is “insets from media box”.
The way to change the layout to suit saddle stitch with bleed on 3 of the outside edges (not ‘guttter’) is to alter the first x Coordinate position with Media Box. However, this change cannot be replicated throughout the remainder of the document with “Mirror on opposite pages” checked and “Apply to Selected Pages” . It does the same thing to all pages, this is after selecting the group and re-selecting the initial page and associated set of corrected values. ( all pages modified left side edge for example)

The mirror on opposite pages check box doesn’t apply to the media box options. Only to the inset boxes. So, if you want to change the using mirrored pages you’ll have to do so on the crop box, and show the document by its crop box, to get the desired results. For what you want to do, that may not be an option. I suggest you select all odd pages, change the x of the media box and apply to selected pages, then select all even pages, and change the x to the opposite amount and apply to selected pages.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 17 July 2013 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-08-22

Thanks, I think this may be what I’ve been looking for. The primary use of the application for my purposes is imposition, so on jobs without trims most things work very smoothly. Hopefully with these few steps, jobs with trims will also impose. Perhaps a ‘original crop/bleed factor box’ inside the impositions editor could take care of this in fewer steps one day…
Thanks so much.

Mark

‹‹ Check Box invisible      no Outlines created ››