no Outlines created
Posted: 01 April 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-12-17

just tried the create Outline from table of contents feature of PDFClerk Pro 3.12 following the screencast. But there is no list created in the right panel except for the “Inhaltsverzeichnis”.

I’ve exported a Pages document to pdf and opened that pdf file with PDFClerk Pro to create outlines for it. The settings where made as described in the video and I have removed the chapter item from the list of special items.

Did I miss something?
Thanks for your help
Ueli

Posted: 02 April 2012 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2007-03-23

If you select some text in the document, copy it and then paste it in a text editor, do you get reasonable looking text? If not, that might be the issue: if the PDF document doesn’t contain the necessary font info to convert the glyphs (the figures that are painted on the screen) back to characters, then the feature won’t work. If you do get reasonable looking text then the issue may be another one. In that case, your best bet is to send me the file you are trying to add the outline to, with a small description of the steps you took, and I will see what advice I can give.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 02 April 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-17

copying text out of the pdf file and into TextEdit works and I can edit the text there (character by character).
I assume that there is another issue with my file.
At which email address should I send the pdf file? PM accepts only up to 220k but my pdf is about 3.5 MB big.

Thanks Ueli

Posted: 02 April 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

You can send it to : info (at) sintraworks (dot) com

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 02 April 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

Turns out the format in which the text was extracted in this particular file was irregular enough that no outline could be created from the textual content of the TOC. Fortunately the TOC already contained links for each entry, so creating an outline from the links did work, and successfully created an outline that only needed to be edited for hierarchy (which can be done efficiently in PDF Nomad).

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks

Posted: 03 April 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-17

thank you António
that helped. Having the outlines automatically created and manually edit the hierarchy give me that extra touch I am expecting from a “good” pdf document. Building the hierachy manually even works with PDFClerk pro. I have also added the chapter numbering (it was omitted when creating the outlines from links).

To get the perfect pdf document there is only one thing missing: the setting of the document if the user opens the file, eg display with outlines, start at page 2, fit in window ..
or is this already built in and I just haven’t found that feature.

Ueli

Posted: 03 April 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-23

The chapter numbering was omitted because the links in the file do not cover the number, they start after the numbering.

To get the perfect pdf document there is only one thing missing: the setting of the document if the user opens the file, eg display with outlines, start at page 2, fit in window ..

There is no way to specify this.

Signature 

António Nunes
SintraWorks